Dear PUMC Members and Friends,
Concerns are at a high level as we work as a community to stem the spread of coronavirus (covid-19)
and I want you to know what we are doing at church and what we anticipate in the short-term:
- We are diligent in our cleaning. Robert has already ordered and received special antiseptic supplies and is
wiping surfaces several times each day.
- You will notice special signs in each of our restrooms about proper hand washing.
- Sanitary hand cleansers are being placed at the entrances of all public areas.
- The staff is practicing social distancing and other practical means that help prevent the spread of the virus
- Unfortunately, I feel we must cut back on in-home visitation for a short time. However, if a need arises please neither hesitate to call nor be surprised if you receive a telephone call. (A "telephone prayer" can be a powerful experience.)
- On Sunday mornings, the pews will be wiped with an antiseptic between worship services.
- We are considering placing the words to hymns in the bulletin to avoid handling hymnals.
- Offering plates and attendance pads will not be passed during worship.
- If the civil leadership calls for a moratorium on gatherings of 250 people or more we will be suspending
- On Communion Sundays, we will utilize individual "Fellowship Cups" which contain both a wafer and
juice to avoid exposure via the handling of bread, etc. Although this part of worship will be different, it will
be done with great respect and a sense of sacred presence.
- The preschool leadership is putting together a response plan and they are already engaged in a very high
level of response regarding cleaning, etc.
- If a staff member becomes ill with the virus, we will close the office for the appropriate number of days
and work from home.
One last request - If you or a family member does contract the virus, please let the church office know
(434.384.2791). We have been asked by the Office of the Bishop to report the presence of the virus in any
of our churches.
Grace and Peace,