The History of Peakland UMC

 

Service and teaching were two of the cornerstones of ministry born 1951 as the Community-Collegiate Church which met in the house at 3128 Rivermont Avenue.  With the support of the District Superintendent and a grant from the Board of Missions and Church Extension, the first pastor was appointed in November 1952.  Serving as a place to worship on the lower level and the parsonage on the second floor, this church ministered to the Randolph-Macon community from 1951-1954.

When the congregation needed a church building, district leaders recommended moving to the Peakland area to serve as a suburban, community-centered church.  The small congregation began building both their membership and their new building.  By 1955 ministry focused on both the building of a congregation and a physical structure. The name " Peakland Church" first appears in written records of official Board Minutes on June 19, 1956. The consecration of the new church was celebrated on January 6, 1957. Church growth resulted in the addition of the education wing.

From 1965-74 the church continued to grow and to reach out to the community.  Programs in Scouting, Meals on Wheels, Church World Service, Inner City Mission and the Lynchburg Training School were typical of the kind of programs which continue today.By the mid-seventies, the education wing was again expanded and the early worship service was initiated. With the eighties came the building of the new fellowship hall, which was used for worship while renovations were made to the sanctuary.

 By November 1981 the congregation had moved into its new fellowship hall, kitchen, classrooms, and enlarged sanctuary. On November 8, 1981, an ingathering of the church in the enlarged sanctuary rejoiced, gazing in thanksgiving and humility at the unveiling of the cross, symbolic of Peakland's purpose and ministry, embracing the future.  The communion table and suspended cross were hand crafted from the oak beams removed from the old sanctuary at the time of renovation.  

In July, 1997, a Renovation/Expansion Task Force was created, and a capital funds campaign began for the renovation of our existing facilities and the building of new program space.  Service and teaching continued to be cornerstones of ministry as, once again, Peakland undertook a Christian education wing expansion program and renovation of existing facilities in 2002, bringing with it expanded mission and Christian education opportunities.  In 2003 a new entrance court and the education and administrative wing were  consecrated. The next year, spring 2004,  our steeple went up.

 

 

 

4434 Boonsboro Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24503

Contact us:

Office: ​434.384.2791
Fax:  434.384.2795
Email:  peaklandoffice@gmail.com