One Mission: Each Member, Every Month- Through Prayer and In Service or Resources
(Food donations may be placed in the red wagon in
the Jason C. Stanley Mission Corner.)
Monthly Mission Food Emphasis:
All that we undertake should fulfill the following: 1) The Great Commission (Mt. 28:19-20) Make disciples 2) Matthew 25:35-36, "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you cared for me, I was in prison and you visited me."
Objectives and Values
- To approach mission through the lens of our United Methodist mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- To foster and encourage within the Peakland congregation a spirit and desire to support mission work with financial resources and engage directly in such work through personal involvement.
- To provide the opportunity for each church member to engage personally in actual mission activity.
- We pray for God's guidance continually in our decisions
- We target missions where we can make a significant difference
- Our aim is to develop a relationship with our mission partners
When we consider to either join or create mission opportunities, we look for clear evidence of the following:
1) Accessibility: need to have "hands on" involvement in the ministry 2) Accountability: have a defined plan of responsibility 3) Commitment: agree with planned mission 4) Competency: have a track record in the ministry 5) Equipped: are prepared for this ministry 6) Evangelism: share or live out the Gospel 7) Fiscal Prudence: meet our mutual financial goals 8) Reliability: meet mutually understood plan of action 9) Reporting: must be willing to provide feedback 10) Sensitivity: realize cultural differences
Meetings & Contact Info
The Missions Committee meetings can be found on the church calendar.
Ministries We Currently Support
Local: American Red Cross, Backpacks for Kids Sake
Churches for Urban Ministry
Rivermont Area Emergency Food Pantry
(Blue Ridge Area Food Bank)
Park View Community Mission
Interfaith Outreach Association
Free Clinic of Central Virginia
Habitat for Humanity
Beacon of Hope
Meals on Wheels
National: Society of St. Andrew, Community Outreach Program
International: Central Virginia Medical Mission Team, Village Mountain Mission
Emergency Relief: UMCOR
ga('create', 'UA-60428636-1', 'auto');